I’m Emmy-adjacent! Congratulations to Craig Gerber and John Kavanaugh, who were nominated this morning for the Emmy for Outstanding Original Lyrics and Music: Merroway Cove. As Sondheim says, it’s the song not the singer, but I am so happy to be a part of this.
I love this movie. It plays every year on TCM - it’s on in about 20 minutes as I write - and even though it compresses facts and time and has a couple super corny numbers, it is utterly charming and sparked a lifelong interest in American History.
Couple fun things:
1) Howard DaSilva plays Benjamin Franklin, in one of his first film roles since being blacklisted. I repeat: blacklisted for allegedly being a communist, makes a big comeback playing a founding father.
2) Donald Madden plays John Dickinson, and looks and sounds a LOT like a Phil Hartman character.
3) Rex Robbins plays Roger Sherman, and a year before he played Rollie, the gay bartender who looks out for Shaft. JOHN Shaft.
4) In a scene elsewhere, Martha Jefferson is played by Blythe Danner, who shortly thereafter would become pregnant with her daughter Gwyneth.
5) Yes, Boy Meets World fans. That’s Mr. Feeny (William Daniels) as John Adams.
This scene is a spoiler. But you knew that.
Enjoy. Happy Birthday, America.